Wednesday, February 4, 2015

♥Ensnared♥


 Synopsis:


After surviving a disastrous battle at prom, Alyssa has embraced her madness and gained perspective. She's determined to rescue her two worlds and the people and netherlings she loves. Even if it means challenging Queen Red to a final battle of wills and wiles . . . and even if the only way to Wonderland, now that the rabbit hole is closed, is through the looking-glass world--a parallel dimension filled with mutated and violent netherling outcasts.

In the final installment of the wildly popular Splintered trilogy, Alyssa and her dad journey into the heart of magic and mayhem in search of her mom and to set right all that's gone wrong. Together with Jeb and Morpheus, they must salvage Wonderland from the decay and destruction that has ensnared it. 

But if they succeed and come out alive, can everyone truly have their happily ever after? 



My rating: 2 of 5 stars 


♥{Ever So Mela}♥{Bloglovin}♥{Facebook}♥{Google+}♥

Splintered Review
Unhinged Review

Do you hear that sound? That gut wrenching shattering noise?

Well, that would be the sound of my heart breaking. The sound of my love for this series withering. The sound of death and unfulfilled dreams. The sound of darkness and gloom. Shadows and sorrow. Misery and grief.

I would have so made it as an actor.

Ok lets get real.


This was not what I wanted. This was not how it was supposed to end. Hell NO!

  "You can not read a book about Wonderland and fall for the mundane."

A very smart friend said that and I cannot agree more. This has basically been my rant for the entire series and I will keep ranting about it every time these books are mentioned.


Funny thing is, I mentally prepared myself to go into this unbiased.  I didn't want to choose sides because that is-more often than not- the start of my hatred for a series. The Grisha Trilogy.  So here I go in,  thinking "I can do this. I can get over Morpheus". At least that was what I keep telling myself. But you know that little voice inside your head? The one that tells you to shut the hell up when you start spouting shit?
Well, that little sucker was on full blast.

Morpheus appears and all shit spouting ended! I can't help it. He is the reason we all read this. He's the character who makes the series.  And then he starts to make us swoon and all I could think was ways the author could kill off Jeb.

But back to that in a sec.

As for the plot, I'm not the biggest fan.  Even though the triangle is important for the story, for Wonderland depends on it, THAT IS NO REASON FOR THIS TO BE CENTERED ON IT! The triangle  overshadows everything that resembles a plot. As for the hints of plot we do get in the story, it's excruciatingly slow. Turtle paced, slow motion slow.  As for the scenery, it's not that bad. I mean, it's no Wonderland but at least it isn't the mortal realm again.

Then we have...
  The characters:


First let's us start off with the bane of my existence, aka
JEB and his everlasting woe is me, spending the majority of the story being a standoff-ish ass.

He is the most whiny self-centered prick in all existence. THE WORLD DOES NO REVOLVE AROUND YOU JEB!

He should have done us all a favor and jumped off a cliff. Or run into a sword. Or skateboarded into a bus. Or jump into shark infested water, or better piranhas. Or... You get my drift.
This guy is condescending, and sexist with his inability to see Alyssa as a strong female who can take care of herself.  She's a Queen, you irrelevant waste of human space!

I feel he cripples the magnificence she could be if she were to choose to be full netherling.


Then there's ALYSSA and her inability to make a Goddamned choice!

You remember that strong female lead in the first book that happened to make a disappearance in the second one?
Well, let me just tell you, she's still in the missing person's ad. NOWHERE TO BE FOUND!

Then there's all her talking a big game and what does she do? Jack shit!.  I found her weak and indecisive.  I mean, she's supposed to be The Queen of Wonderland and she just came across as some lovesick teenager. And yes, you don't have to tell me, I know she's in her teens but all she thought about was Jeb this and Morpheus that and gave little thought to Wonderland. It really made me question her a character.  And no excuse, I wasn't that dimwitted as a teen. Maybe only a smudge.


And finally we have  glory and deprecation, sunlight and shadows. The reason we all come back. MORPHEUS

First off


I wholeheartedly feel he's what brings uniqueness to Wonderland and therefore, this series. He's that special oomph a lot of books need and never find. He's complex and layered. And I feel he always stays true to this character. He's still manipulative and cunning but that is what draws me. Like moths to a flame<<< See what I did there? ;)
Secondly, I don't think I've swoon so hard like this since Warner. And man did I swoon with Warner. But Morpheus? He is  another level on his own.  The things he said? Seriously he had me pausing and kissing the pages. Yes I kiss my pages, they need love ya know?

So my main problem-yes, besides the sheer existence of Jeb- was that ending. I felt cheated.  Robbed. It was rushed, ALL THREE PAGES OF IT.

I remember praying, because yes I even pray for good endings, that we would be graced with an epilogue. You know, a pretty little bow that ties everything neatly together. You know what they say...

Dude knows what he's talking about :P
I can't even bring myself to say I'm surprised. This is exactly what a friend and I were talking about when we read Unhinged. But... I don't know...Sometimes it sucks to be right.

So in the end, it's not as horrible as I might paint it. Maybe if I hadn't gone and picked teams I would have left fascinated. But where's the fun in that?

I expected to be blown away but not even a gust of wind came my way  :(



View all my reviews


♥Until next time♥

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...