Monday, May 11, 2015

♥Fighting Fate♥


Synopsis:

Forgiving your brother's murderer may be noble, but falling in love with him borders on betrayal.
When Paige Zukowski enrolls at Granton University in honor of her dead brother, she has no idea fate will land her on the same campus with the very guy who killed him. But Logan Xander isn't quite the murderer she's always believed him to be.
A day hasn't passed since the tragedy that Logan doesn't wish he could go back and undo everything. It doesn't take Paige long to realize he's suffered as much as she has. Forgiving him for ruining her life might not be so impossible after all. But when she actually starts to like him and realizes he likes her in return, their true anguish begins.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

*Contains some spoils...cause seriously, I got to get this off my chest.



I'm just lost. What the heck was up with that ending???

I mean, seriously, this was a real solid read up until 60%. But I'm still laughing at how convoluted the plot got. She should have just stuck to the blurb but noooooooooooooooooo.
She had to go and make terrorists and boy geniuses and sexual harassment. I know I'm always the one to say that authors need to branch out and try new things, but honestly? Yeah, no. Not this. Especially when it just felt like some plot device to unify the characters more. Especially when they weren't really going to flesh it out. And especially when it was just going to be IN.THE.LAST.20%. I just found it to be dealt in a too flippant manner for the severity of the situation.


Initially, I was really compelled to read this. I had once heard of a story in which this women fell in love with her father's murderer. I was so intrigued and at the same time horrified because even though I truly believe in forgiveness and second and even third chances, I couldn't bare to put myself in her shoes and actually see myself forgiving someone who selfishly took away my father. Just thinking about the things that would have been robbed from me, left me gutted. He wouldn't be there for my wedding, he wouldn't hand me over to my husband. He'd miss seeing the births of his grandchildren. I wouldn't be able to see him on weekends or go fishing with him on Sundays and nag all day so we could go home early. We wouldn't have Sunday dinners or movie nights. I would never see him grow old and wrinkled. I would never hear his voice again telling me he loves me or feel his arms around me encasing me in a hug. I'd miss his smiles in the mornings, calling me princess when I brought him coffee. He would just be gone because someone decided to take away a father, a husband, a brother. And to hear this woman say how she learned to forgive and forget and turn this new found friendship into love?; wouldn't you be intrigued as well?


I wanted to get lost in the story. I wanted to believe the struggle and for a moment I did. I truly felt for Paige. I understood her pain and her desperation. And Logan just constantly broke my heart. He so vulnerable and insecure. Shattered in his brokenness.
But I needed more.
If this was going to be this taboo romance I needed earth-shattering, can't-breathe-can't-sleep, head-over-heels, heart-in-my-throat LOVE. Because in my eyes only that fairytale love would overlook the fact that you're falling in love with the person who not only hurt you but annihilated your entire family in the process.
And it didn't deliver...
At least not on Paige's side.

I felt the extra pages that were wasted on ridiculous secondary plots could have been used to solidify this feeling. To validate this unconventional love but it was used recklessly to add more drama for the sake of drama. I'm starting to think it's a Linda Kage trait.

And honestly, I was constantly annoyed by Paige and her incessant running. I mean, the girl could have tried out for frickin track she ran so much. She also needed to go see a Dr for that unremitting trembling issue. Not kidding, go get that shit checked out. And then there was the paranormal romance aspect of Logan and his stinkin spidy senses.

All in all it was ok but it could have been GREAT.
    “It doesn’t seem to matter how wrong it is or how much I fight it, I’m drawn to you. I can’t get you out from under my skin.”

View all my reviews


♥Until next time♥
 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...