Thursday, February 19, 2015

♥Apprentice♥


Synopsis:

***Ebook of the 1st in series, First Year, is 99 cents all February 2015 on Amazon, B&N, KOBO, Smashwords, & iTunes to celebrate Apprentice's release this month!***

She survived a trial year at the Academy, but that was just the easy part…

Now sixteen-year-old Ryiah is an apprentice in Combat, her school’s most notorious faction of magic. When she finishes she will be a mage, but in order to do so she has to survive four years with a training master she hates and her old nemesis, Priscilla. 
To make matters worse the unwanted attraction Ry feels for her sometimes-friend-sometimes-rival Prince Darren is at an all time high –even though he is betrothed to the very girl she can’t stand.

Really, the only bright spot to Ryiah’s new life is the time she spends with her friends, including an older apprentice named Ian, who she finds herself thinking about quite often.

Just when things start to get comfortable they take a turn for the worse. An apprentice is killed in a rebel attack and several mages end up dead. Unwittingly, the apprentices find themselves in the midst of a budding unrest between Jerar and its northern neighbor, Caltoth. For Ryiah the impending conflict means many things, but as her apprenticeship draws to a close she finds her biggest problem at home.


Unfortunately for her, Darren’s not going anywhere.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
♥{Ever So Mela}♥{Bloglovin}♥{Google+}♥

4.5
...Well color me flipping surprised.

In all honesty I was expecting to hate this or at least severely dislike it. I've had this for a week or so but dove into other books to actually get in a good mood cause lately I've been a nitpicking bitch. I'll even admit it to myself.

The funny this is...
THERE ABSOLUTELY WAS NO NEED!

I don't know if I'm the only one but I am one wary girl when it comes to second books in a trilogy oooor third books in a 5 book series. I mean look at The Evolution of Mara Dyer-which I can't even bring myself to finish-, Unhinged, Siege and Storm, The Infinite Sea, Heir for Fire, Opal, etc, etc, etc. And those are just off the top of my head, I could keep on going for days. I can seriously count with one hand the exceptions to this rule.

So you can imagine my ridiculously giddy behavior when this turned out to be one of them. 
You, my dear Apprentice, are the exception to the rule.


Every character I loved was back, the trials were harder and the expectations were greater.

The triangle....ahh the triangle. Now I know a lot of people have problems with them...but I'm not one of thoseI have a shelf called heavenly triangle *shrugs*. I mean triangles do irritate me sometimes, oh dear Lord do they ever Mal/Jeb but in the bigger picture I like them. I'm petty like that. I want my characters to show that other love interest that they're not the last coca cola in the dessert. I thrive on competition. I've actually bought books for that sole reason alone, like The Infernal Devices, Throne of Glass or Kiss of Deception, to name a few. So to say they're not a pet peeve is an understatement. And here it was glorious. Because they both won a place in my heart more so Ian.

Better world building, awesome side characters that really played a role, rollercoaster of emotions, hold-on-to-your-seat action, bite-your-nails-and-chew-your-lips tension filled story. I probably got heart palpitations.

This book over shadowed it's predecessor by miles on end.


Oh! And that ending?



(I received this ARC copy by the author in exchange of an honest review)


View all my reviews


♥Until next time♥

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...