Friday, March 6, 2015

♥The Year We Fell Down♥


Synopsis:

The sport she loves is out of reach. The boy she loves has someone else.
What now?
She expected to start Harkness College as a varsity ice hockey player. But a serious accident means that Corey Callahan will start school in a wheelchair instead.
Across the hall, in the other handicapped-accessible dorm room, lives the too-delicious-to-be real Adam Hartley, another would-be hockey star with his leg broken in two places. He’s way out of Corey’s league.
Also, he’s taken.
Nevertheless, an unlikely alliance blooms between Corey and Hartley in the “gimp ghetto” of McHerrin Hall. Over tequila, perilously balanced dining hall trays, and video games, the two cope with disappointments that nobody else understands.
They’re just friends, of course, until one night when things fall apart. Or fall together. All Corey knows is that she’s falling. Hard.
But will Hartley set aside his trophy girl to love someone as broken as Corey? If he won’t, she will need to find the courage to make a life for herself at Harkness — one which does not revolve around the sport she can no longer play, or the brown-eyed boy who’s afraid to love her back.

My rating: 2 of 5 stars
♥{Ever So Mela}♥{Bloglovin}♥{Google+}♥

2.5
This could have been great. It could have been perfect. Heck it was probably gonna get at least 4 stars outta me until it hit that 50% or so. Then it just sucked balls. But I digress. Let's start with the good.


 Corey
At times it was really hard to read this because the main character goes through a lot and it's really difficult to read about her struggles. And I mean that in a good way. The author conveyed her difficulties perfectly but also showed her strength in spite of the situations. She's really admirable and definitely had her moments.
  “Playing hard to get?” she asked.
I shook my head. “It’s just pure survival,” I told her. “And it’s really not as hard as I thought it would be.”
I shook my head. “It’s just pure survival,” I told her. “And it’s really not as hard as I thought it would be.”
I loved the way that she decided that the second being Hartley's friends was becoming more damaging than uplifting she left. No second thoughts about it.
 “Pushing Hartley away felt like a huge mistake. He’d always been a good friend to me, and throwing that away seemed foolish.
Except, it wasn’t.
I took a very deep breath. The truth was that following Hartley around like a lovesick puppy was preventing me from making other friends. And as great as Hartley was, I didn’t want to spend the whole year lapping up the scraps that were left over when Stacia was busy reapplying her lipstick.”
The fact that she decided her sanity and her life was more important than following a guy who didn't take into consideration your feelings was commendable and noteworthy.


  Hartley
Don't get me wrong. There was a time I liked him. But it probably only lasted a second until I got into his POV. He seemed shallow and ridiculous. All he talked about was his "rich" girlfriend and how that was all that mattered. He loved the way she looked at him, the way she looked, her bitchycute quirks.
When they finally got together, that scene felt lacking and left me cringing. At one point he's all I love you and I'm just like...
Where did this come from?!?! I felt the transition was too quick without any angst. His proclamation of love didn't feel the slightest real because every time we were in his mind he never really felt anything resembling feelings that led me to believe that. It's bull and felt rushed.

At times I did feel that everyone was interested in everyone for other reasons beside the important ones. Corey basically mentioned his hot body every other page. Adam basically only mentioned Stacia's smoking curves and rich status. And Stacia only likes his pretty face.

Also, the repetitions. I despise it when an author uses the same phrase over and over again. And we saw tons of that here. If I never hear "hell and damn" again it'll be too soon.

And finallyyes, I'm almost done, so chill Corey's "Hope Fairy" creeped me the hell out for some reason.
Kept reminding me of Lizzie Mcguire's little minnie me.

This is one of those stories that were quite perfect up until the characters got together. Then everything went to shit.


View all my reviews


♥Until next time♥
 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...